Home Forums Litterae Forum The Iliad Achilles the role model?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Socrates
    Keymaster

What lessons are there to be learnt from The Iliad for a) an Ancient Greek and b) us today? What actions and events should be emulated and which avoided? Can any of the deeply flawed characters be considered a true role-model?

Linda Oreilly
    Participant

This is a tough one, Socrates. There’s at least one role model for everyone and in everyone but as you point out every human is deeply flawed. So you pick and choose among the virtues you’d like to have and the vices you’d rather avoid. And then there’s the difficulty of one man’s virtue being another man’s vice a la Jack Nicholson: “You can’t handle the truth” –he was right. There are times, as in warfare, when you can’t believe the horrors you’ve perpetrated in the name of god and/or country; you did them because it was the thing to do given the loathsome circumstances you were presented with at the instant you had to make the choice.
    All this to tell you that I can’t chose a role model among the characters in the Iliad. There’s good and bad among’em all. I see Homer’s work as grand metaphor and I can’t get past it.
    My own favorite role model was thought up by Shakespeare: Iago, not an admirable man but he taught me the power of words softly spoken and timely.

SueBeard
    Participant

In any novel, there are good and bad. The task of the reader is to see it and make appropriate conclusions for themselves. You can visit my blog and also learn a lot of useful things.

hevavay678
    Participant

I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! Ensite Vascular

jackbacha2
    Participant

Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. who is Dr. Natale

hevavay678
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us. Ross Levinsohn

yopsaderzu
    Participant

New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. Fresh Bros

yopsaderzu
    Participant

I am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing. looking for a sugar daddy

crystian.beaux
    Participant

I truly value this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be helpful for a large portion of the general population. 먹튀사이트

yopsaderzu
    Participant

Zootoken is a crypto project. It was built as a platform for “Meme tokens” to increase their value as well as create a new ecosystem for users. No longer just a trend, Meme Tokens in the ZooToken ecosystem will quickly hit their top-notch. zoot

yopsaderzu
    Participant

I read your blog frequently, and I just thought I’d say keep up the fantastic work! It is one of the most outstanding blogs in my opinion. hypnosis for quit smoking

yopsaderzu
    Participant

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. Delta 8 gummies

crystian.beaux
    Participant

I have added and shared your site to my social media accounts to send people back to your site because I am sure they will find it extremely helpful too. sauna

yopsaderzu
    Participant

Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz MK Blog Directory

yopsaderzu
    Participant

Great articles and great layout. Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. buy antminer Dubai

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.