Home Forums Litterae Forum The Iliad Achilles the traitor?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Socrates
    Keymaster

What is patriotism? Agamemnon, Achilles, Odysseus, Ajax et al all commanded armies from different Greek cities who were fighting together against a common foe i.e. the Trojans. Does Achilles’ abstinence from the fighting make him a traitor?

Linda Oreilly
    Participant

‘Patriotism: devoted love, support, and defense of one’s country; national loyalty.’ Dictionary.com

With 5 armies going at it, 5 different cultures and pride as a ruling passion (pride: a high or inordinate opinion of one’s own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc. per Dictionary.com. And being the most pathological, in my opinion, in the pride hierarchy of definitions), Achilles is not viewed as a traitor. His wealth, charm, good looks and history of successful engagements in warfare, and of course his lineage protects him. Such was the thinking of the time.

I found some info here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/history/21h-301-the-ancient-world-greece-fall-2004/assignments/pa1_iliad_rev_dn.pdf

Reading The Iliad with today’s attitudes I consider many of the warriors to be small-minded traitors. But that was then.
    I hope over the course of many years to achieve a more full-bodied opinion.

Alan Birnie
    Participant

“Does Achilles’ abstinence from the fighting make him a traitor?” Socrates, I think your question raises an important question relevant even today. If we pose the question in this way: Can someone defy the law and be a hero? Linda’s point that a patriot is someone who loves their country would be generally accepted as being accurate. I also agree with you Linda that wealth, charm, and lineage are mporatnt determinants in forming people’s opinions. They are also merely superficial factors which do not address the root question. It seems to me that the real question is: Under what circumstances is it acceptable to defy the law? So, can we regard Achilles, and anyone else who has the temerity to defy social conventions, or the law, as being heroes. My opinion is that we can, if the issues raised are of great moral concern to society. Please feel free to challenge my opinion!

justmikemihelson
    Participant

After reading this question, I remembered my past when I was engaged in an essay editing. You will be surprised but I wondered the same question while writing an exciting article for another student. I thought for a long time over this and various options came to me in my mind. Does this epithet to use or maybe this one? As a result, a wonderful essay was ready. A student thanked me.
    Let the answer be personal for each of us.

hevavay678
    Participant

Thanks for the tips guys. They were all great. I have been having issues with being fat both mentally and physically. Thanks to you guys i have been showing improvements. Do post more. Ensite Vascular

crystian.beaux
    Participant

If you are looking for more information about flat rate locksmith Las Vegas check that right away. Andrea Natale

crystian.beaux
    Participant

I truly welcome this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be valuable for the vast majority of the general population. Sports Illustrated CEO

hevavay678
    Participant

This is a great high resolution screen which you have shared for the users. Making a website is not an easy task but managing a good website is really a hard work. As far as this website is concerned, I am very happy. متجر شحن ببجي

crystian.beaux
    Participant

definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog! saunas supremesauna.com

hevavay678
    Participant

Wow, this is really interesting reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I like it. Credit Planned

nagixe5527
    Participant

Personally, I have found that to remain probably the most fascinating topics when it draws a parallel to. You may find two to three new levels inside L . a . Weight loss and any one someone is incredibly important. Initial stage may be real melting away rrn the body. lose weight altcoin crypto news

nagixe5527
    Participant

Stahlwandpool kaufen komplettset als Bausatz zum selber bauen ohne Beton Bodenplatte freistehend Stahlwandpool Set im Pool Shop bestellen winterfest Angebot Stahlwandpools rechteck achtform rund oval aufstellen einbauen im Garten
    Stahlwandpool

crystian.beaux
    Participant

Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC. Indoor sauna

hevavay678
    Participant

Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. Gym Near Me

crystian.beaux
    Participant

We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. Minneapolis quinceañera photographer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.