Home Forums Litterae Forum The Aeneid Did Virgil Succeed?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Socrates
    Keymaster

The Aeneid was meant to rival Homer’s epics, The Iliad and The Odyssey. How does Virgil’s work compare to these two, and how does it differ? To what extent can the Aeneid be considered political propaganda? Does this affect the quality of the work in one way or another?

johnmartin2860
    Participant

It’s so sweet of you that you miss your presence here. I am glad that finally all of your work is getting in shape and you can have a good sleep now. It is also being said by the samedayessay that it is better to clear up the mind so that you can sleep freely.

Kazanova
    Participant

thanks for the info

makegoalken
    Participant

Your feedback helps me a lot, A very meaningful event, I hope everything will go well run 3

Thanks for the topic and for the answers. Useful and necessary information.

muzankibusuji.888
    Participant

hello

I think it may have succeeded most in capturing the soul of Augustus and by way of Augustus throughout the Roman world. Hence it’s impact would have been profound. The AENEID is enormously straightforward compared to Homer’s epics. The character of Aeneas is shown able to transcend attachments to human emotions in his piety and devotion to his destiny. My guess is that he doesn’t play as well right now. I am dearly reminded of JFK’s exhorting us, “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.” I also would like to add that I have always felt that Augustus carried guilt over the murder of Julius Caesar’s son. Hence, this epic encouraging Roman peace and unrivaled excellence in governance motivated Augustus to create administrative systems that outlived him and moved Rome into greatness. Augustus took on the mantle of Aeneas; he became Aeneas. As in everything, the Romans were the great pragmatists of the ancient world.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.